Thank you for your continued partnership in prayer. Here are our November prayer points:
- We have the Adoption Order in hand! The judge has granted a positive ruling on the adoptions of Miriam and Zulea! This is how the Sliedrecht sisters celebrated:
Please pray for the next step in the process – obtaining American citizenship.
- Tim has been diagnosed with bilharzia/schistosemiasis, a disease caused by parasitic worms that live in freshwater snails and spread to humans swimming in contaminated waters. We are thankful to know the cause of Tim’s tiredness, body aches, fevers, nausea, lung issues, heart palpitations, etc. and that there is a treatment. Please pray for full eradication of these parasites from his system.
- While we are unable to give details, we are extremely discouraged and heart-broken in relation to our ministry work… please pray that we may be open to receive what God has for us during this difficult time, and that the Spirit may break through and fill us with strength, encouragement, wisdom, discernment, humility, submission, and perseverance as we seek to move forward. Pray also that truth may prevail.
- Here’s a video of the Kalaki Bible Listening Group celebrating the completion of listening to the entire New Testament, their church plant and baptisms:
Please continue to pray for the Beyond Proclaimer Program that its impact may be wide and long and high and deep in the love of Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- After many meetings with the local community and government, the first main project of the Beyond Transformation Centre is under way – the Beyond Fishcage Project – raising tilapia in Lake Kyoga to help provide sustainability for the Beyond Transformation Centre; to help restore the greatly diminished fish population and industry in Lake Kyoga; and to address income instability, food and nutritional insecurity, unemployment, vulnerability, and poverty of local communities. Please pray that the Spirit may be our source of strength, courage, wisdom, and discernment as we work to see this project become a reality. Pray for the continued support of the local government and community. Pray for the success of this project. Click here to see photos of this project’s development.
“Prayer will never do our work for us; what it will do is to strengthen us for work which must be done.” – William Barclay
With you, with Jesus,
Kalaki Bible Listening Group celebrating completion of listening to the entire New Testament, their church plant and baptisms.
First of all, HAPPY (belated for Canadians and be-early for Americans) Thanksgiving. During this season of thanksgiving, we want to say thank-you to all of you for your ongoing support through prayer. Your perseverance in prayer pushes us to press-on. As a small token of our gratitude, our kids decided to do a music video for you, called “Happy” – ENJOY!
And now, here are our October Prayer Points:
- Tim’s sickness went away for a bit but it seems to have returned with ongoing fever, nausea, weakness, and muscle aches. Please continue to pray for healing.
- On our way to pray over land for the Beyond Transformation Centre, we (Adolphus, Steve & Tanya Tiesenga, Angie, Tim & Amara) slid on the wet, sticky mud off the road and rolled into a small ravine. Praise God that no one was seriously injured. However, please pray that God may provide for the financial recovery of Tiesenga’s van, along with Steve & Tim’s phones as they are a total loss. Click here for photos.
- The ruling for the adoptions of Miriam and Zulea is to take place tomorrow! Please continue to pray that the judge grants us a positive ruling.
- The development plan for the Beyond Transformation Centre has been approved by the Senior Leadership of International Teams! We are now moving forward with the first main self-sustainability project – fishcage farming! Stay tuned for more info! Please pray for us that we may continue to follow God’s timing and direction, not holding on to our plans too tightly while at the same time not letting Satan distract or discourage us.
- The Beyond Proclaimer Program continues to grow and create deep impact of transformation. A man who was a witchdoctor recently converted to Christianity along with his entire household of two wives and eleven children and joined a new church plant and Bible Listening Group. They live more than 4km away by foot in a very Muslim area with no churches. They desire to see a Bible Listening Group come into and become a church in their area. Please pray for this family, that they would grow in their faith by hearing the Word of God, and that we would be able to get more Proclaimers and thus supply them with one to start a Bible Listening Group in their area. Click here for a continually growing number of other testimonies! (sadly, photos of this family were on my phone lost in the accident)
- Over 35 people in North America rode and raised over $7,000 in the Ride for Refuge for the Beyond Fish Cage Project, a self-sustainability project for the Beyond Transformation Centre! This year we also rode here in Soroti (click here for photos), in solidarity with those who rode in North America, and in honour of Glen & Kori VanderKooi and their children, who, through the Ride, have been instrumental in bringing transformational impact in the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of people in Uganda over the years, and who are in great need of your prayers as Glen recently suffered from a massive stroke.
“Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
“Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever” (1 Chronicles 16:34; Psalm 106: 1; 107: 1; 118:1, 29; 136:1, 2)
Thank you for your continued partnership through prayer. Here are our September Prayer Points:
- Our family, along with other teammates, has been hit with an awful, contagious sickness. Tim has it the worst with high fever, extreme aches head-to-toe, nausea, fluid in the lungs, but Angie also has it pretty bad, along with what seems to be gallstones. It has been 4 days now with little relief or signs of recovery. Please pray for healing.
- Our meeting with the judge at the high court to present our case for finalizing the adoptions of Zulea and Miriam went well. Now we wait for the ruling. Please continue to pray that the judge grants us a positive ruling.
- Pray for JobMax as he is working hard to finish his first album. Once complete, we will prepare for a launch tour with the Freedom Boys (featured in our last newsletter) and Children of the Light Gospel Choir.
- Just before returning to Africa Bible University (ABU) for his second year, Pius Emesu (featured in our March newsletter) excitedly shared with me how ABU helped him discover what Grace is for the first time and how he has been spending much of his vacation time teaching and preaching to others about Grace, something very few people know about, understand or believe in here. Because of the transformation they have witnessed in Pius’ life, two other young men, Basil and Fred, desire to attend ABU as well. If you would like to financially contribute to their education at ABU, please let us know.
- We are still anxiously awaiting the approval of our development plan for the Beyond Transformation Centre by the Senior Leadership of International Teams. Please pray for a positive response from the Senior Leadership and for trust and patience from all involved, including land-owners and others who awaiting the approval.
- The Beyond Proclaimer Program continues to grow and create deep impact of transformation. One of the Bible Listening Groups has even started a church with over a dozen new baptisms (click here for a continually growing number of other testimonies)! Please continue to pray for these Bible Listening Groups, that they would not give up in meeting together and that God’s Word may penetrate deep in their hearts and extend out of their hands by the power of the Spirit. Please pray that we may be able to get more Proclaimers as we don’t have enough to keep up with the demand.
- Please pray for the upcoming Ride for Refuge, taking place on October 4 – for success in raising fun, fellowship and funds around our cause, the Beyond Fish Cage Project, a self-sustainability project for the Beyond Transformation Centre. This year we are also Riding in honour of Glen & Kori VanderKooi and their children, who through the Ride have been instrumental in bringing transformational impact in the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of people in Uganda, and who are in great need of your prayers as Glen recently suffered from a massive stroke. For more information click here.
“Prayer is not overcoming God’s reluctance. It is laying hold of His willingness.” ― Martin Luther
Praying with you,
Join us on October 4 in the 2014 Ride for Refuge by (1) RIDING WITH or (2) SPONSORING our Ride Team, Beyond Bikers.
Three facts to consider:
- The Ride for Refuge is a fantastically fun family-friendly event not just for “bike-riders” but for everyone who can ride a bike, including young children. You can Ride in one of 24 locations in Canada, one of 4 locations in the US, or wherever you are!
- We are riding in honor of Glen & Kori Vanderkooi and their children. Glen and his family were instrumental in establishing the Ride for Refuge in Grand Rapids, directing it for its first 5 years, and directly and indirectly helping us raise over $250,000 through the Ride during those years, which has brought and is still bringing transformational impact in the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of people in Uganda. He recently suffered a severe stroke and has a long road of recovery ahead of him. Please keep him and his family in your prayers.
- Funds raised will go towards the Beyond Fish Cage Project, a self-sustainability project of the BEYOND Transformation Centre, which is a discipleship camp and retreat center we are developing for the young people of Team Beyond’s focus communities in Uganda to discover how they can provide access to food, freedom and forgiveness in their communities and beyond.
Thank you for your continued partnership through prayer. Here are our August Prayer Points:
- After many years of fostering-to-adopt, we are scheduled to go to high court tomorrow, Thursday the 28th, in the morning to obtain the final adoption orders of Zulea and Miriam. Please pray that our lawyer and the judge show up and the judge grants us a positive ruling.
- Our teacher, Rebekah Wissink, arrived on the 21st! Please pray that she may adjust and settle smoothly.
- The collaboration of JobMax, The Freedom Boys (featured in our last newsletter) and Children of the Light Gospel Choir and the filming of the two music videos has been a success so far! The videos are currently being edited, the songs are currently being played on all the major radio stations in Kampala, and interviews are being done by TV stations, radio stations and newspapers! Click here to see photos and stay tuned for the videos! Please pray for the promotion process and the launch, that corporate sponsors may catch the rhythm and the vision!
- Pius Emesu, featured in our March newsletter, has been performing very well at Africa Bible University. Here is something he recently wrote us: “Truly speaking I do not have words to express my gratitude for the interest and the steps you have taken in my personal and intellectual well being and I take seriously the mandate given to me to study the word God. I intend to work hard to maintain and improve upon my current academic record and to strive to become a contributing and frank member of the body of Christ in any place He will send me after this place… I will be praising God for the support you are always giving me, that is making me to learn the treasures of God. I really consider this a great blessing to me.” If you would like to financially contribute to his education, please let us know.
- Our teammates and good friends, Ruudy and Beckie Olupot, got married just over a year ago and have since moved to Jinja to join another organization in training local church leaders (read more here). We praise God for the 3 years Beckie spent as a single and the 1 year she spent together with Ruudy on Team Beyond walking alongside and impacting young people in Kamuda, Amuria and Soroti, and establishing a focus community in Amuria. Most of all, we praise God for, and look forward to many more years of, their friendship and their partnership in the gospel. Please pray for them as they head to America next month for Ruudy’s first time, and that in doing so their marriage may grow more and more to reflect that of Christ and the church.
- We have narrowed in on land to buy for Beyond (see our scouting photos here) and are ready to head full-force into Phase 1 of Beyond’s development plan. Once the plan is approved by the Senior Leadership of International Teams, we purchase the land and begin our first self-sustainability project: floating fish cages!
“The child asks of the Father whom he knows. Thus, the essence of Christian prayer is not general adoration, but definite, concrete petition. The right way to approach God is to stretch out our hands and ask of One who we know has the heart of a Father.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship