Abducted as a child in Uganda, Denis became a ruthless killer under the influence of the LRA. Hear in his own words how his rescue and rehabilitation transformed his life through finding forgiveness so that he is now helping former child soldiers and street kids find restored hope and life in the power of Jesus.
Please take a moment to read our latest newsletter.
Click to Read
- our long-time friend, Denis, who we’ve been walking alongside for the last 7 years – be sure to also watch Denis share his powerful testimony, From Child Soldier to Beloved Son
- the Freedom Boys ministry we’ve been walking alongside, led by Denis and Martin, both of whom are from different tribes (Denis is Acholi and Martin is Sebei) and have a deep heart for the Ateso street children in Soroti
Another one of Job Max’s past music videos, which speaks of the need to work hard to eat. Filming of the 2 new videos will take place this coming weekend. Please pray for Job Max, the Freedom Boys and Children of Light Gospel Choir as they prepare and practice and that it may turn out to be a success.
One of Job Max’s past music videos, which speaks of the value of children and against child abuse and sacrifice. The Freedom Boys (partner street boys ministry of the Soroti Town team) and Children of the Light Gospel Choir (partner ministry of the Pamba team) will be featured in his next 2 music videos.
Thank you for your ongoing partnership through prayer. Here are our July Prayer Points:
- Please continue to pray for our teacher, Rebekah Wissink, as she prepares to come in August – applying with ITeams, going through training, raising support.
- Praise God for the progress made on the discipleship camp and retreat center, for His continued direction and leading:
- We have come to a decision on the name for the discipleship camp and retreat center! While it wasn’t at the top of the voting list, we have decided to go with the name “Beyond Transformation Centre,” or BEYOND [location] for short because it is consistent with our team name, Team Beyond; because English is the most common language in Uganda (as opposed to Swahili for the rest of East Africa); and because the word “Beyond,” based on the meaning/rationale, speaks well to what the camp/center is all about. Thank you so much for voting!
- The more detailed phased plan is complete and submitted to ITeams leadership! Once approved, we can move forward in purchasing land.
- We are close to purchasing land! We have finalized negotiations on two pieces of land and are working on a couple others. Please continue to pray for discernment, wisdom and sensitivity to God’s leading as we make final decisions on land.
- Plans for our first self-sustainability project are underway – floating fish farms! More info to come!
- We are helping our neighbor, Job Max, a local music artist, produce and promote a couple music videos and an album of self-written songs with positive, Biblical messages. The videos will feature the Freedom Boys (partner street boys ministry of the Soroti Town team) and Children of the Light Gospel Choir (partner ministry of the Pamba team, featured in the Tiesengas’ latest newsletter). Please pray for this collaboration, that it may be successful in spreading truth and encourage people to follow the ways of Jesus. You can view two of his past videos:
- The Beyond Resource Centre is moving to Pamba, a focus community of Team Beyond just outside of Soroti Town, to be part of Team Beyond’s ministry there (featured in the Tiesengas’ latest newsletter). It is in a more central, accessible location where it is expected to be made use of by more people and make greater impact. Please pray it may be so! More info to come!
“We tend to use prayer as a last resort, but God wants it to be our first line of defense. We pray when there’s nothing else we can do, but God wants us to pray before we do anything at all. Most of us would prefer, however, to spend our time doing something that will get immediate results. We don’t want to wait for God to resolve matters in His good time because His idea of ‘good time’ is seldom in sync with ours.” Oswald Chambers
NOTE: We are still accepting digital cameras for the Beyond Photography Program. Please let us know if you have any that you’d like to donate.
Tim & Angie Sliedrecht
Remembering… 4-years-ago, during the World Cup Final, two viewing venues in Kampala were bombed (below is my post of the day after as I was in Kampala at the time). In light of increasing threats of terrorist attaches in Kenya and Uganda, please pray for peace and safety during the final match tomorrow.
Originally posted on BEYOND BLOG:
For the past week, I (Tim) have been in Kampala to have our car repaired, to get Certificates of Good Conduct from Interpol (which we need to finalize our adoption of Moses), and to purchase 2 vehicles for 2 families joining Team Beyond.
Anyway, since I was in Kampala, I thought it would be fun to watch the final World Cup match with a few hundred Dutch (along with many other foreigners and Ugandans) at Iguana, a local restaurant. All in all, it was a good time… until we had to be evacuated. 3 bombs went off a few kilometers away at a couple other local restaurants where many foreigners and Ugandans were also watching the game. (For those of you who have been here, the bombings occurred just across from Game & Shoprite at the Kyadondo Rugby Club and on Tank Hill in Kabalagala at the Ethiopian Village Restaurant…
View original 133 more words
Thank you for your ongoing partnership through prayer. Here are our May Prayer Points
- Please pray for peaceful and smooth travels and transition for our family as we head back to Uganda on June 5. We praise God for our time in North America, for the
- face-to-face time we were able to have with so many people
- refreshment and rejuvenation we received after a very difficult year
- opportunities we had to share about what God is doing in Uganda and the powerful testimonies of transformation, specifically that of our dear friend Denis Okwera (watch From Child Soldier to Beloved Son – Denis in Uganda)
- encouragement and confirmation we received for the development of the discipleship camp and retreat center
- Praise God for providing us a teacher, Rebekah Wissink, for our kids next year! Please pray for her as she prepares to come in August – applying with ITeams, going through training, raising support.
- Continue to pray for our current work on the development of the discipleship camp and retreat center, specifically for wisdom, discernment, direction, and listening hearts with us as we
- work on the detailed, phased plan
- decide on and purchase land
- settle on a name
- Praise God for the baptisms of Eliana and Amara, celebrating God’s Covenant of Grace and their membership in the family of God
“We never know how God will answer our prayers, but we can expect that He will get us involved in His plan for the answer. If we are true intercessors, we must be ready to take part in God’s work on behalf of the people for whom we pray.” Corrie ten Boom
NOTE: We are still accepting digital cameras for the Beyond Photography Program. Please let us know if you have any that you’d like to donate by June 4 (we leave for Uganda June 5)